Sirius Launched by Clover Moore
Last night we celebrated the launch of Sirius – now available for puchase instore or online. For details visit: www.saveoursirius.org/thebook
Sydney Lord Mayor, Clover Moore, officially launched Sirius to a record crowd of supporters.
The event was generously supported by Kinokuniya, with Managing Director Kawai-san welcoming everyone to the store.
- Jack & Judy Mundey, to whom the book is dedicated
- Myra Demetriou, Sirius resident
- Tao Gofers, Architect of Sirius
- Alex Greenwich, Member for Sydney
- Penny Sharpe, Shadow Minister for Heritage
- Jess Scully, City of Sydney Councillor
- Phillip Thalis, Architect, City of Sydney Councillor
- Save Our Sirius members including chairperson Shaun Carter.
Here is what Clover Moore says about Sirius:
“If you believe Sydney should be more than just an enclave for the rich, then this is a fight you should be part of. Whether you love the look of Sirius or not, the issues in play here are far deeper than aesthetics.
“At the heart of it, the Berejiklian State Government don’t believe low income people should be living in the city (and certainly not with harbour views) and they’re pushing these them out to the city fringe, far from their communities, transport networks, employment and other support services.
“But Sirius housed the tight knit community that fought to protect The Rocks in the ‘70s, local residents whose roots go back to the early colony. And this building was purpose-built to house them after those very important fights.
“So a lot of people ask, what can I do about it?
“Well this beautiful book is a good start. I joined Councillors Jess Scully and Philip Thalis last night to launch it with the authors John Dunn, Ben Peake and Amiera Piscopo, who have worked tirelessly to save the building. It’s not an expensive purchase, at $25, and it will help support this urgent campaign.”
Save Our Sirius would like to thank everyone who made the night a success including;
- Kinokuniya and their generous and friendly staff including Kim Hungerford and Valerie Wong.
- Young Henrys – for providing drinks for the night!
- Ben Guthrie – for again offering his time and skill to photograph Save Our Sirius events.
- All the contributing photographers, artists, and writers who helped us make such a wonderful book.
Sirius is now available in store and online….
Sales of Sirius support the Save Our Sirius campaign.
Better Read Than Dead
Potts Point Bookshop
GOMA Gallery Store
… or ask for it at your favourite bookshop.